National Marine Week runs from 25th July to 9th August 2020 - a full fortnight to take advantage of the different tides and no matter where people are, it’s going to be a fin-tastic time.
This year, due to social distancing regulations, Northumberland Wildlife Trust is encouraging people to make their sandwiches, put on their sunglasses, sit on a beach towel at home and enjoy a fabulous programme of online events, including online webinars, virtual tours of the shore and even Zoom-based beach tot events where mini marine biologists can learn about the wonders of the sea at home.
So, visit the Wildlife Trusts website www.wildlifetrusts.org/get-involved/campaign/national-marine-week which includes an online treasure chest of information to help celebrate and inspire during National Marine Week including:
- How to keep the kids occupied with the new downloadable DIY Shore Life Spotter Guide
- Top tips for making the most of the coast this summer, rock pooling guides and more
- Information on the UK’s amazing marine wildlife
- Blogs from The Wildlife Trusts’ experts
- Special editions of Wildlife Wednesdays weekly videos during National Marine Week.
- Details on how to enter a Marine Wildlife Experiences Competition and be in with the chance to win a copy of The Essential Guide to Rockpooling by Julie Hatcher and Steve Trewhella, or one of two pairs of binoculars from Opticron.
Lynette Friend, Northumberland Wildlife Trust Events Officer says: “This year we haven’t been able to run any Marine Week events which is a huge disappointment, but take a look at the online activities which have been set up so that, when everybody is out and about again, they will know more about the incredible underwater world surrounding our island and why it's worth protecting.”